Today I want to share an easy and inexpensive DIY Canvas Picture Home Décor Idea. It turned out so cute and I’m here to show you how to make it!
Wall Art Picture Canvas Tutorial
I made this for a dear friend of mine for her birthday. Usually when I want to make my friends a homemade gift I simply stalk their pinterest and see what they love! I saw these FREE PRINTABLES over on Jessica Spragues’s Blog and just knew it would look great on some canvas. So I decided to make you a little tutorial on how to add a photo to canvas to make a beautiful piece of wall art like this! Lets get started…
Canvas Picture Tutorial:
- Printed Picture (I printed an 8×10 at Costco for $1.50) HERE is the link to the “Come Thou Fount” printable that I used. I would recommend getting the picture printed with a ‘Matte’ finish so it isn’t as shiny (like mine is).
- 8×10 wrapped canvas (sold at most craft stores or even Walmart)
- Black Craft Paint
- Foam Paint Brush
- Glue – I use YES glue but you can use modpodge
- X-acto knife (not pictured)
- Sandpaper (not pictured)
-First, you are going to Paint the edges of your canvas using your black paint and your paintbrush, you just need a thin coat. Go slightly over the top edge with the paint.
-Once the paint is dry, you are going to apply a nice coat of glue all over the front of your canvas. Not too thick, just enough to cover the surface of the canvas. If you are using YES glue simply use your fingers to apply, pushing the glue all the way to the edges. The thing I love about YES glue is it washes off your fingers easily just using water!! (use a paintbrush to apply modpodge if you prefer).
-Lay the picture on top of your canvas. Press evenly across the picture to make sure it sticks. You can flip it over and press from the back too, or lay a book on top while the glue sets.
– Once your picture is set (I usually wait a couple hours), lay the picture face down on a cutting board and trim the edges of the photo (not the canvas) using your x-acto knife – your picture may or may-not have any edge hanging over.
– Finally (if desired) use a small piece of sandpaper to sand the edges a little bit. Use a downward motion along the edge of the picture. This will give your project a rustic look.
-That’s it, you’re all done!! Now stand back and admire your work!!
*I love how this project turned out! And the best part is… you can use any picture (family pictures, art, subway art, etc) to make this Wall Art Canvas Picture! I hope you get a chance to make your own. Please let us know if you make one, we would love to see!
Here are a few other Free Printable Art Pictures from around the web that you could print out to use for this tutorial….
- Valentine 8×10 Free Printable
- 4th of July Free Printable
- HOME -Free Subway Art Printable
- Teacher Subway Art Free Printable
And so much more!! Just google or look on pinterest for other great subway art printables.
Have fun crafting everyone!
Click HERE to see all the Linky Parties I’ve linked up to:)
You Might Also Like: