Welcome! This is the updated Face Mask Tutorial. My previous tutorial and pattern have been a huge hit, with over 1 million views on youtube! I am so glad you guys love it. Over the last several months I have modified the original to include sizes for all ages, an optional filter pocket and a removable nose wire pocket. I’ve also included instructions in the video for all different kinds of elastic or tie straps. I hope you enjoy it!
**These instructions are the property of Taya Somes @EatPrayCreate. They can not be sold of distributed. They are for personal use only.
**This is not a sponsored post. However, some links may be affiliate links where I earn a small commission if you purchase through my links at no added cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog.
Watch the Tutorial on Youtube:
Print the Pattern:
These are the different Printer settings for different sizes: (once the PDF pops up – click printer options – print size and adjust the percentage based on the chart below).
- 110% for X-Large Adult Size
- 100% for Regular Adult Size
- 93% for Teen Size
- 88% for 10-14 year olds
- 83% for 6-9 year olds
- 78% for 3-5 year olds
**Masks are NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 3!!
*If you don’t have a printer try opening the pattern on your computer screen, brighten your screen and trace the pattern on a thin piece of paper. These are about how much distance is between each section of the pattern (for a regular Adult size mask):
Top 5″ (including swoop)
Top nose to chin 9″
Chin to Jaw 3-1/2″
Jaw to upper ear 4″
NOTE: Seam Allowance is about ¼” except when top stitching, that is 1/8”
– 100% Cotton Fabric Scraps (Pre-washed and dried) See Fabric amount needed for each size mask below. – https://amzn.to/2AbEeFR
– Elastic (or Soft Elastic for around the head) – you can find it here: https://amzn.to/2VJOITu
– Flexible Garden Tie (aka soft plant tie) – you can find it here: https://amzn.to/39vV6mf
– Wire Cutters – https://amzn.to/3dVFuLW
– Sewing Clips or Pins – https://amzn.to/2URgNId
– Ruler – https://amzn.to/30tHyXA
Amount of Fabric Needed for Different Size Masks:
(a ¼ yard can make about 2 masks – depending on the width of the fabric and size of masks)
Mask Size – Fabric size in inches
- XL – 8”x 6” (4 pieces)
- Regular – 7”x 6” pieces (4 pieces)
- Teen – 6-3/4” x 5-1/4” (4 pieces)
- 10/14 – 6-1/4” x 5” (4 pieces)
- 6/9 – 6” x 4-3/4” (4 pieces)
- 3/5 – 5-1/2” x 4-1/2” (4 pieces)
*For Behind the Head Elastic – cut measurements as follows: (these are approximate measurements)
- Large Adult Men’s – 15″ and 11″
- Regular Adult – 14″ and 10″
- Teen – 13-1/2″ and 9-1/2″
- 10-14 year olds – 13″ and 9″
- 6-9 year olds – 12-1/2″ and 8-1/2″
- 3-5 year olds – 12″ and 8″
- Masks are not recommended for children 2 and younger!
*Cut Behind the Ears Elastic as follows: (these are approximate measurements, you can adjust to fit to your face by measuring before you cut)
- Large Adult – 6″ each
- Regular Adult – 5″ each
- Teen – 5” each – (if your teen is the size of a regular adult do 6″)
- 10-14 year olds – 4-1/2″each
- 6-9 year olds – 4″ each
- 3-5 year olds – 4″ each
*For Ties cut your bias tape, t-shirt strips, or ribbon as follows: (these are approximate measurements)
- Teen and Adult – amount 2 each – 15” & 13” strips
- 10/14 – amount 2 each – 13” & 11” strips
- 6/9 & 3/5 – amount 2 each – 12” & 10”
*Cut pattern out.
*Trace pattern onto fabric. Cut 2 lining pieces and 2 outside pieces, opposite each other. Can also cut Non-woven interfacing to include in the pattern for more filtration or a third layer of fabric.
*Cut Fabric out.
*Put right sides together of each set and sew along the front curved edge.
*Cut notches along the seam so it will lay flat when turned. Be careful not to clip the thread you just sewed.
*FOR THE FILTER POCKET: fold bottom section under twice (about 1/4”) and iron, then stitch in place from one end to the other. Repeat for both layers. (Skip this step if you don’t want a filter pocket)
*Put the 2 pieces – front and back – right sides together.
*Cut Elastic (see guide above for how long to cut elastic) – ear and head elastic and tie options.
*Put elastic in between fabric layers. Clip or pin into place.
*Sew along right, top, and left side. Be sure to backstitch over elastic to secure.
*Cut pointy corners off and any excess elastic. Don’t cut any seam threads.
*Turn right side out. Push corners out.
*Iron Edges Flat.
* Begin sewing along the outside edge of mask starting at the bottom and working all the way around the mask. Be sure and leave about a 3” gap at the bottom of the chin area for inserting a filter if desired.
*Create Wire Pocket by cutting a piece of fabric 3” x 2-1/2”. Fold in half the long way, right sides together, and sew along the 2 short sides. Trim upper edges. Turn right side out and fold open seam inward. Iron flat.
*Sew top edge of Nose pocket to the top of inside of mask. Sew bottom edge next. Leaving the 2 short ends open.
*Cut a 2” piece of wire. Clip the wire ends shorter than the cover on each side and insert into mask pocket. (Remove when washing)
* Clip pleats in place along the sides of the mask (about ½” each side for regular and XL size masks, ¼” for other masks) Sew over the pleat 2 or 3 times.
Your mask is complete!!
**Recommended washing after each use. Remove Wire before washing. Wash on warm and hang to dry (mask will last longer) or dry on low setting in dryer.